The Lyceum was a gentlemen’s club in Bold Street, which also housed Europe’s first lending library. Founded by members of the Liverpool Literary and Philosophical Society. This included several of Liverpool’s abolitionists, notably William Roscoe, who wanted to establish an alternative meeting place to the often rowdy merchants coffee houses.
It was left abandoned in 1952 when the society moved to a different venue. But was reopened as a post office in the 1980s. Since then it has house a number of different bars, restaurants and shops. The building currently stands empty apart from one branch of a bank and is up for sale at a knock down price.