Liverpool Town hall was completed in 1754, paid for by wealthy merchants of the city. Around the dome on its slate roof are four clocks flanked by lions and unicorns and on top is a statue of Minerva, the Roman Goddess of wisdom and protector of cities. At the north end is the Queen’s Balcony, named after Queen Victoria who stood there in 1851 to greet the city’s merchants assembled in Exchange Flags and remarked that she had never before seen together so large a number of well-dressed gentlemen. The front balcony has always been used by Royalty, not to mention Liverpool and Everton football clubs and the Beatles.
Liverpool Town Hall has monthly guided tours which cost £3 for adults, children are free but must be accompanied.
See the Liverpool Town Hall website for more information.