Landmarks

St Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church

St Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church

The splendid Byzantine style St Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church, was designed by Henry Sumners and built in the latter half of the 1860’s. It was built to serve Greek migrants and sailors and as such is dedicated to St Nicholas, patron saint of seamen, families and children. The architecture is

Read more
Princes Road Synagogue

Princes Road Synagogue

The earliest recorded instance of a Jewish congregation in Liverpool was in 1753. A synagogue was mentioned in Cumberland Street, unfortunately there is no real detailed surviving account of the original community which grew into the thriving one of today. The first Grade 1 listed synagogue outside London, the Liverpool Old Hebrew

Read more
St Lukes

St Lukes – The Bombed Out Church

Known to Liverpudlians as 'The Bombed Out Church'. St Lukes was a victim of German World War II bombing, being destroyed in May 1941. The original church building, which dated from 1802, was damaged beyond repair and the landmark of the shell was dedicated as a memorial to the victims of

Read more
Anglican Cathedral

Anglican Cathedral

Construction of this Gothic revival style church started in 1904, using the characteristic red sandstone from the quarries at nearby Woolton, however building was interrupted by two world wars meaning that it was not until until well after the death of its architect Giles Gilbert Scott that the Cathedral was

Read more
Albion House White Star Building

Albion House White Star Building

The Albion House White Star Building. was designed by Richard Norman Shaw and J. Francis Doyle. Standing on the corner of James Street and The Strand, the red brick and white stone building was the original headquarters of the White Star Line and the registered home of the ill-fated ship the

Read more